Audacity provides its users with a lot of facilities and one such facility is that users can keep their Personal Preferences settings with their application wherever they go. Users can take Audacity with them on the go on portable devices such as a USB drive and use it on any PC while keeping all of their personal Audacity settings.
This is Audacity’s built-in feature that on launch it checks for a Portable Settings folder in the same directory as the executable file or Audacity.exe or audacity.app. If the Portable Settings folder exists in the same directory then Audacity will store the settings there rather than the standard folder.
How to create Portable Audacity?
To create portable Audacity, follow these steps:
- Download Audacity in .zip or .dmg format.
- Extract Audacity .zip or .dmg on to the USB drive or any other device.
- Now create a New Folder on the USB drive and rename it to “Portable Settings”.
All of the configurations that you will make now will be stored in the Portable Settings folder inside your USB drive instead of the usual location.
If there is no Portable Settings folder present then Audacity will store user settings in the standard location on the PC which is as follows:
- Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/Windows Vista: Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity
- macOS / OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/
- Linux: ~/.audacity-data/