With Audacity, you can use files from iTunes. You can import the files directly into Audacity and then use them for editing as you like!
Files which you purchase iTunes Store may be DRM(Digital Rights Management) protected so, you must either extract them or record them to an unprotected format before you can use them in Audacity.
How to import files from iTunes?
Locating the files
The first thing that you are supposed to do is locate the audio files that you wanna edit in Audacity.
You should know that iTunes Library doesn’t contain the actual files, but basically, it is a group of links to the actual location of the files on your PC. To find out the actual location of any iTunes file and its format;
- From iTunes Window, Right Click over the file.
- Click on “Show in Windows Explorer” or “Show in Finder“.
- A new window will open having the selected file in its correct folder. If the format is hidden then you can find out by right-clicking on the file and then “Properties”.
*Do not move the files from their current location or iTunes will no longer be able to locate those files.
Importing the files
After you have located the files, you can import WAV, AIFF and MP3 files from iTunes into Audacity.
You can either drag and drop these files into Audacity Window or;
- Open Audacity
- Go to File > Import > Audio.
- Navigate to the actual location of the file.
- Select the file and click Open.